Thursday, September 09, 2004

Going To NZ part twelve (Milford Madness)

Hmm.

We settled down into the ferry, and even got to do our own sheets and bedding. Gathering our cameras, we got onto the deck, and were greeted by the Captain's voice over the intercom which was half garbled by the wind as we went out onto the deck.

Apart from oursleves, there was a Japanese family, some Belgian people, a family of New Zealanders and one Brazilian headed by a ruddy-faced man (who went by the name of Paul). Apart from them was two German ladies and a small NZ family with two children.

The day passed with seeing several parts of the Sound, when we came into a cove and the day's major activity event took place: Kayaking. My mother simply disallowed any notions of myself swimming, which was rational: the water was very cold.

An eager kayakist myself, my brother went down first, and I followed a few moments later. The cove was about 500 meters abreast, and after strapping on the safety floating vest, I paddled out to meet my brother. I eventually circled the Ferry twice just to practise Kayaking (The last time I did such a thing was the year before last). My brother was greenhorn to all this Kayaking.

I decided to visit the southern side of the cove where there was a small waterfall. I got near the waterfall, even next to the point where the water flowed down from the rock into the Sound. After that, I decided to move onto the north edge of the sound, and as I was paddling from the south point to the north point I heard someone's voice.

'Help!' I heard the distant voice.

'Heeeellllllpppp!!!!' I heard it again. Searching the Cove, I saw a person hanging onto an upturned kayak at the middle of the cove's entrance, and decided to help.

Turning my kayak around, I paddled to fast, i could feel the water slapping the bottom of the kayak as I sped toward the person who was drenched with water and shaking with cold. As I paddled as hard as I could, I saw a speedboat moving toward this person, and I heard in the distance 'Man overboard, man overboard!' over the Ferry's intercom.

I still didn't slow down, and when the speed boat stopped to drag this poor person out of the water, I saw something I never expected: THAT PERSON WHO OVERTURNED HIS BLOODY KAYAK AND SCREAMING FOR HELP, WAS NON OTHER THAN MY FRIGGIN' BROTHER!!! There was no mistaking the hair and jacket he had on.

Deciding to save him the embaressment of seeing him completely soaked to the bone, i turned about, and headed back for the ferry.

I discovered my brother in the shower. He was apparently attempting to drown himself with the shower due to the embaressment of falling into the sound. All I could say was: 'Hey. At least you got to swim in the Sound, Mum wouldn't let me, mate.'

That night, when I asked for cool water, the crew mistook me for my brother, and one of them asked me: 'Aren't you already tired of cold water???' I corrected him immediately.

After dinner, I saw a guitar in the corner of the main area, and fingers being itchy, I decided to tune it up to play some tunes on it. I was eventually approached to play for everyone, and it was my turn to be embarassed because i didn't know any common songs. Sigh. I eventually handed over the guitar to Paul (the ruddy-faced Kiwi), who seemed to know every country and folk song.

Apparently, we were making such a ruckus, the head of the Japanese family came up to tell us all to shut up because the kids were sleeping. The mood shaken, we decided to retire for the night.

The next day, we saw loads of dolphins, to everyone's delight. We docked at 10 am in the morning. Milford was over. Sigh.

Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home