Saturday, September 04, 2004

Going To New Zealand part five (Wellington here we come)

Hmm.

Wanganui over, we went past the towns of Whangaehu, Turakina, Bulls (we expected to see lots of them), Himatangi, Foxton, Levin, Otaki, Waikanae, Paraparaumu (we expected to see lots of 'para para' fans doing the dance in the game malls), Porirua and finally the Capital Of New Zealand.

The capital was a settlement nestled within an empty spot among the hills, next to the sea. Reaching the capital, we settled down for accomodation and then proceeded to visit the city's numerous attractions including the famous Te Papa Museum, the surrounding shopping areas and of course, the theatre where there were the Lord Of The Rings premieres, subsequently, we also visited the New World supermart.

Te Papa Museum was very beautiful: well-maintained, clean, and most of all (especially to the Singaporean mind) it's free. I actually donated a few bucks just for goodwill. We went to see the wildlife section and then the we came across something i never saw in my life in the flesh ( or in this case in the foam). There it stood, five meters (i think) tall, the model of the Barad Dur, from the Lord Of The Rings motion Picture. you could say I was almost estatic with joy until i almost went wild with happiness with a LOTR merchandise store just next to the display.

We left the museum after discovering our carpark validity was expired, and decided to move on into the shopping areas. I went and saw the theatre with a gigantic Ringwraith on a fell-beast sitting on top of the theatre's roof. I also saw another theatre with the same ornament, but I purchased my ROTK poster at the former.

Pleased and content, we had dinner in a small diner and had a taste of wine in a long, lonely while. It was ok.

Going back to the hotel with my poster firmly clutched in my hand, I decided to take a dip in the hotel's pool (apparently dismally small). I met some very nice people who were apparently also going over to the South Island the next day (which was Our plan as well).

That night, I slept well but it took a while: I was beginning to get even more excited because I knew we were moving on to the next phase of our travels.

Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home