Monday, September 20, 2004

School Stuff

Hmm.

Today at school, I was required to create a model of a tape dispenser which would eventually be made into a real, working tape dispenser made from clay. I had already done three previous prototypes, and I had already decided on a basic shape and dimension for the tape dispenser. All of the models I had done were made from blue foam, which is a very fine version of your average styrofoam. It is also blue in colour.

The thing about blue foam is that it is very easy to cut, as long as you have a very sharp knife. Along with your penknife, you need a junior hacksaw and surform to remove the material effectively so as to get your desired shape. I basically made the model in about three hours, which is considered very fast.

Later in the evening, I had rendering class. Being required to design concepts of vehicles which can travel in air, space, water and on land, decided to consult my rendering teacher.

Mr Bowy (not his real name) is a designer by trade and he designs stuff like remote controls and handphones. Being reffered to this guy by the lecturer who first set me this task of designing concept vehicles, I was surprised that Mr Bowy declined to say much about vehicle renderings (which he says he isn't that fantastic at). I don't blame him, this kind of stuff is very tough to do, and only professionals who do such stuff everyday can come up with good renderings.

I decided to get down to doing the stuff which Mr Bowy teaches us: 3D and 2D renderings. I have made good progress on this area of drawings and such, so I was able to have lots of fun pointing out suggestions to my classmates. I tried not to be overly-imaginative and stuck to what was needed to say.

I ended the day discussing rendering tricks and tips with Mr Bowy, and I managed to get a good idea on how to improve my renderings. Wonderful.

Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home