Wednesday, September 22, 2004

The Fuzzy Green Grass Storms the Keep!

Hmm. (or maybe for today...YEAHHHH!!!)

Today, I was looking forward to two things when I went to school for lessons: First is to show my sketches of futuristic vehicles to my lecturers and simultaneously laugh viciously at my weaker classmates who can't seem to make their vehicles less like motorcars (NOT!!!, just kidding about this one ok?); Second is the Debate session which would involve Alvin and myself trying to entertain some people who have and have not heard our songs (those who have heard our songs are our classmates, those who haven't aren't our classmates).

So here I was walking into NYP, with my B.C. Rich Mockingbird in its case strapped to my back and with my A2 folder and sling bag and trying not to look like a bull in a china shop. I think I made it alright. So I entered the studio to get my guitar out to practise 'Stairway' which is THE highlight of that afternoon, and since I turned it into a Parody which really pokes fun at Zelda's absymal singing. We (Alvin and I) renamed it 'She Can't Sing For Nuts'.I'll post the lyrics soon enough.

After getting out my guitar, I put it on my lap and turned on my discman to play to 'Black Dog' from Led Zep IV. Almost at once I noticed that there was water flowing from my bag. SHIT. My water bottle had opened by itself (it has those flip caps yarh?) and bea=gan to leak all over my bag. Putting my guitar down non too gently, I rushed to evacuate my items from the bag, and simultaneously tried to de-moisturise my bag. Guess how I did it.... tissue paper, about thirty squares of the soft stuff was used up before the situation was under control. DAMN. I missed Black Dog.

So lesson started, we all geathered around and discussed how to improved my sketches (I already asked my other lecturer about how to improve my stuff two days back). So I presented my sketches to Ms Liu, and she said her stuff, and rounding off by commending me on being hardworking. Gosh, what a beautiful thing to say, but really I don't think about it too much. After seeing Alvin's stuff, I felt that maybe mine was really a bit too futuristic, but that's what it's all about.

After a boring Materials and Manufacturing session, I walked back to Block R to wait for Alvin to finish his work before we made a move on to Debate. We went off for the session at about 3:15, and reached there at about 3:27 (or so...). We went in and started to straddle up.

The thing about the first few songs Alvin and I did was that I kept screwing up because the room was friggin' cold and there were so many unknown faces. I decided to be bold and tried not to mess up after about three songs. we paused for a 'recess' after about five songs or so. We settled down to chat with people who were extremely interested in Alvin's banjo.... I was not left out that much, but hey, not many people have really seen a banjo right?

The second part of our song-singing and playing session involved three parodies ('Lament for the Bald Head' which is about a lecturer Alvin adn I know; 'Libyan on a Jetplane' which is a funny version of 'Leaving on a jetplane' and of course... 'She Can't Sing For Nuts', a rippoff of 'Stairway To Heaven'). It was fun, especially 'Libyan', and 'She Can't Sing For Nuts' went well.

The best part of the whole session was when Ms Gail (the debate lecturer) asked me and alvin to put music to different situations and feelings, among which were: rain, snow, the feeling of a baby in a womb, a baby being born, and the devil coming out of hell. The first involved me using a chord progression from my song 'Starry Night'; the second from my instrumental 'Spring in Christchurch', the third was just me using the tunings for 'Spring' (open E major) and playing harmonics; the forth was just me doing a pick slide and the last was just a blues progression in the key of F. Man it sounded dangerous.

the most interesting part of the session was me playing my souped-up dangerous version of S'pore's national anthem. Don't ask me to play it for them ever again: once is enough.

Ms Gail was constantly asking us questions, and she rounded off the day with a commendation that we were exactly what we described ourselves to her during the first debate session (we said that we had loads of energy, and were very loud and punchy just to summarise it). she also said what we did was impressive. WOW.... now that was something especially since the common response to our music was 'SHUT UP YOU BLITHERING IDIOTS!!!'.

Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home