Thursday, November 18, 2004

Tina Is Fixed

Hmm.

In a spate of crude repair work involving my guitar-related possessions, I managed to fix my 'Bush' violin bow. Guess what...

I managed to fix my old acoustic guitar 'Tina' today, involving three screws, and a lot of courage.

'Tina' has a long history with me: Coming into my possession just before I turned 13, 'Tina' was named shortly after my first crush, who I incidentally, have fallen out of contact a year ago.

'Tina' was a gift from my Grand Uncle Peng Yew (alvin will remember him), when I approached him for guitar lessons. Grand Uncle actually found this guitar at the void deck of a HDB block, not really sure which block though.

Since I first touched 'her', 'Tina' became my only main guitar, until my aquisition of 'Estel' from my cousin.

'Tina''s untimely demise came shortly after my short spate of jamming with Chris Leow early this year, when she fell on her side and her neck split from one edge of the heel to next.

Shocked and saddened, I worked doubly hard to buy a new acoustic, being beyond doubt that 'Tina' would remain a thing of the past, just like the person.

In the end, I bought my (at present) main acoustic 'Crawldaddy'early in march, before I started jamming with Alvin, before The Fuzzy Green Grass started. soon after, came the electric 'Page' in April.

At this point of time, I was inactively searching for repair shops who could help me to repair 'Tina''s broken neck, but to no avail, no shop would touch the neck due to the amount of risk involved.

Personally, I didn't mind if 'Tina' was permanently disfigured, just so that she could be put back into action was my primary goal.

Time and money wasn't on my side. I refused to put the idea of throwing 'Tina' away simply due to the sentimental value she meant to me. After all, her tone and playability weren't that bad, just not so good.

In teh end, I resorted to epoxy, which worked for about twenty minutes before the split opened again.

I then decided to use three screws to secure the neck.

It worked.

I am now the proud owner of four guitars, and one mandolin.

The main lesson I've learnt from this experince is that nothing is impossible. Don't believe me? check out the pictures below.

Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home