Saturday, September 25, 2004

Recording and editing....

Hmm.

Recording and editing songs have never been so fun, yet tiresome at the same time. Take last night for example: I was staying up until 1 am in the morning just recording overdubs for 'Stairway To Heaven' which I intend to cover. I mean, what's so great about it is you get to mess around with the arrangements (not that I really did that, the recording is about 25 seconds shorter than the original, so it's a bit faster overall).

With all my overdubs and stuff like that, it really sounds like the original (the music at least) in terms of feel, and energy. I think I did a good job of recreating the song, considering I only used one electric, one acoustic and one mike. Panning also plays an important part.

Overdubbing is a very tedious process, because you can record your stuff with the right timing, but due to the nature of my style of over dubbing (hearing the recorded layers through headphones and recording while I play the overdubs), the process of mixing the files will take a while due to the few milliseconds lost when I push play (for the recorded layers) and pushing play (for the recording function). When I even out the mix, It'd have to take about at least fifteen minutes just to do it, and subsequently make sure the volume is correct and there is a good balance between the pre-recorded stuff and the overdubs.

Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home