Thursday, September 23, 2004

Recording techniques

Hmm.

Whenever Alvin or myself choose to record a couple of songs for an album, what usually happens is that I go over to his place in the morning armed with my electric and acoustic. We would then talk about what songs we want to record, and what songs either of us haven't heard before and would like to should show the other. This would eventually lead to us playing impromtu songs which we only learnt several moments before.

Apart from choosing the best songs to record and put on the album (so to speak), we would also attempt to improve the record by miking techniques, which I am very well versed in. I believe that the mike should be placed a distance away from the whole group so as to pick up a bigger sound, hence, allowing a more transparent sound what doesn't sound strained or congested. As Alvin's mike is a cheap 10 buck piece of computer hradware, my voice (which incidentally, has loads of emotion whenever I sing) tends to sound like some whiny punk from MTV's newest 'hot group'.

After recording the album and hearing it, I was severely disappointed with my voice, and decided to use my own computer and high-end mike to record my songs. I eventually tried to use my computer mike first until I found a way to fit my mono microphone (which sounds better) into the computer. I discovered that gently fingerpicked songs using the cheap microphone sounded muffled, while hitting it hard would literally drown out the vocals. Sigh.

I managed to record four good-sounding songs using the cheap mic, and I finally found a way to put my high-end microphone into the computer.... a secret for myself. I managed to record two very good-sounding songs and it even has resonant effects. Wow.

The next time Alvin and I are planning to record an album, it'd be at my place... cuz I've got a better mike and I am also able to burn my CDs without divine interference from my folks. Muahahahahahahah..... watch out you feeble acoustic players.

Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home