Friday, February 11, 2005

Pop Tart II

Hmm.

It's the third day of CNY, and guess what? I'm stuck doing prototype clocks for Patrick... racking my brains wondering what Pop Art is all about.

Then I looked at the world around me, and thought very hard hard about the term itself: 'Pop Art'. Popular Art... popular culture... popular tastes... popular syndromes... just what I've been shying away from: popular things.

I suppose I'm the one guy who is the least able to research this whole pop thing because I'm one guy who's absolutely willing to stay out of touch with modern day culture because I could really give flying fock.

Anyhow, I suppose I have to drag my unwilling self into exploring this world we all live in today, and try and juice something interesting out of it and dunk it into my Studio project. So what the pancakes is Pop art all about?

It essentially centering around popular culture... it is transcient (short-term soluble), expendible (easily forgotten), low cost, Mass produced, Young, Witty, Sexy, Gimmicky, Glamourous and BIG business.... according to a library book I borrowed.

Then it hit me (ever so slightly) that popular culture and pop art reflect each other... like the infamous debate as to whether life reflects art or vice versa, and in actual fact, I'm able to apply much of what I like and disdain about pop culture past and present into my project.

I suppose it's a well known fact that the one main vehicle of Popular Culture is MTV (which I absolutely abhorr), and pop singers across the years follow a general rule of: introduction, exposure, usage (by the consumers), struggle to survive, and eventual disposal. This 'curve' can be observed in people (in order of age) such as: Marilyn Monroe, Cher, Madonna, Britney Spears and eventually, Lindsay Lohan and maybe even Jo Jo.

Notice folks, this is not my typical shoot-and-spit-on-'em post... I'm serious, every one of these people have acted, sang and danced. The previous three have effectively been disposed of by the mainstream population, and I foresee Lindsay Lohan being pop culture's latest infatuation and eventual ragged doll.

It is also followed with rock stars: Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, John Lennon, Freddie Mercury, Kurt Cobain (in order of death dates). They are brought into this entertainment industry only to depart either by drub abuse or being shot or being ravaged by AIDS. After being left alone to deal with the spotlight, somehow they just realise that Popular Culture just seems too much, and they are simply sucked into the black hole of a vicious cycle... seems sad, yet true.

I dunno, Pop Culture seems like a bad thing to me... you can look at the bright lights and fame and be dazzled, but that about pressure? what about the drugs and booze? Don't tell me those people out there haven't, at one point in their life, been tempted to take drugs or booze it all night long?

Thin about it in the modelling industry as well... the sacrifices or dirty deeds people do just to get that five minutes of fame and glamour... being a whore for attention is some of people's greatest problems. We can even see it within our very own social circles.


Anyhow, that's why i blatantly remove myself from all of this and just let them go and fool themselves... and buy good records.


Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home