Monday, April 04, 2005

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!!!

Hmm.

I'm now officially the proud owner of an Epiphone SG copy, which is just basically all the same components under a different brand... every single thing is genuine.

And the sound is just so wicked.

I have to say that, although I did manage to get it, I also burned a S$150.00 hole in my bank account, and that my friends, isn't a small hole. Particularly since I already owe my brother S$180.00 worth of CDs.

Yeah.. 150 bucks, but it was well worth it, in all it's wicked, compact and light glory. This guitar is so light, I don't even have to make a serious effort to pick it up and hold it up at arm's length. My previous guitar is at least twice to two-and-a-half times heavier, and yet the tones it can produce are only a fraction made possible in an SG. When I went to Bras Basah complex this afternoon, i had to bend my back and make an effort to carry the guitar bag. After I finished the exchange, I was practically trying to prevent the guitar from flying all over the place.

Apparently, the main reason for the huge amount of 'top-up' cash required for the exchange was:

1. It wasn't exactly a fantastic guitar (no surprises here).
2. It had dings and scratches all over the place.
3. There was another Mockingbird in the house, and it was basically a yardstick to an inch compared to my (former) guitar.
4. A one-to-one exchange for a 2nd-hand guitar with a bolt-on neck and a brand new, set-neck guitar isn't gonna happen in any part of the world.
5. I was just a sucker for the SG guitar.

Anyhow when I got the guitar, I noticed the third, or "G" string (don't get any funny ideas here) was really hard to keep in tune. Then when I got back and re-strung the guitar, I realised that the "G" string was actually a newer string, but it was the wrong string size, hence the reason as to why the guitar kept going out of tune whenever I tried to play the main riff for 'Highway To Hell'.

Apart from acquiring the SG, I also discovered this Cort guitar with modified electronics, and it sounds like a dream. I'm planning to trade in my old acoustic for that one, and most likely top up more cash as well to complete the picture.

All in all, I've got to be more patient, and hopefully I will be able to get away with all this hectic gear-switching and still manage to get a decent grade in school, because I fear I haven't been as diligent as last semester.

Last but not least, I just pray this guitar will last a long time, and I won't have to meddle around with it for too long just to get a sound I want.


Cheers,

Crawldaddy

P.S.: Pictures coming soon!!!

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home