Saturday, April 01, 2006

Remembering her

Hmm.

The first time I met Alvin's grandmother, she was sitting in the living room of Alvin's place silently watching the telly. I gave her a small greeting, to which she reciprocated with a smile, one which warmed up the bottom of my heart.

Given that this dear old lady wasn't in the best of her health, she was there to remind Alvin to rest when he suffered from dengue fever last year... I admire her indefinitely. During Alvin's birthday, no one smiled more brilliantly with pride (apart from Alvin, who grinned cheesily) at her 18-year-old grandson. She had reason to be proud, and I had reason to be happy for her that she managed to live to see her grandson grow and reach 18.

A couple of days back, Alvin smsed me that this dear old lady had died, and I wish to pay homage to this lady, for whom I respect for her courage in the face of her disease, had fought to live to the bitter end, but truth was, it wasn't a bitter end at all.

She triumphed in the way that she went home to the Lord Friday morning, leaving behind her beloved children and grandchildren whom I believe, will remember her always for that smile which never faded, and which has inspired me to write this post in her most cherished memory.

I can still remember the last time I ever saw Alvin grandmum... I had just popped by at Alvin's place for a jam (or something along thoe lines) and I said goodbye as I left... having made a mental note to say goodbye because I knew she'd always smile for me as I left Alvin's place.

I will always remember her, and as I attend her funeral service this evening, my heart will go out to those who knew her and I pray that someday I will like her, leave behind a legacy which though small, has moved mountains.


Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home