Saturday, August 28, 2004

Dillema, dillema.

Sigh.

As a very active guitarist, my musical focus is on the genres of rock, country, folk, bluegrass and jazzy stuff. When I joined the tertiary institute, I realised that maybe I could expand on my musical ability by joining the guitar club. Sadly, I realised too late that the guitar club is focusing on playing as an ensemble, instead of individual persons doing their stuff.

So what is the problem with me and the guitar club? I'm a dude who prefers to read guitar tab, instead of the traditional sheet music (a.k.a. known as 'tow-gay' or beansprouts) and this guitar tab is actually easily to read, and mistakes made is seldom compared to tow-gay. As I'm unable to read tow-gay, playing a song piece is a very painful pain-in-the-arse.

With tow-gay, you gotta take so much consideration to this and that which amounts to the music being read properly. With Guitar tablature, all you gotta do is see which fret you gotta press on, and on which string, which is simple enough for the average joe. The advantages of guitar tablature is such that all guitar magazines use this format of sheet music when transposing songs, and it's completely writeable on Microsoft word. Imagine trying to download tow-gay stuff: it'll only be able to come out as a picture or requiring a programme to illustrate out the file.

Sheet music problems aside, it is also the music that these nutters choose to play: slow, boring stuff that'll make your head sleepy just by looking at the sheet music. I'm a lead player, and because of my inability to read tow-gay, I'm forced to play slow chords or overtly-complicated bass parts (yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn).

As I mentioned before, bluegrass is so much more lively compared to classical stuff, and i simply prefer the challenge of improvisation during a song, rather than trying to play simultanously with five other people, all of us playing the same piece.

As a result of my dillema, I've decided to quit the guitar club, and my dad asked me whether I'm gonna start an electric guitar club. My answer: It's either classical or metallica for today's typical guitarist, and if i do start an electric guitar club, it'll be forced to focus on heavy lead stuff. As my electric roots lie in Led Zeppelin, not Metallica, I'll just lie back and play my steel acoustic to the cold wind and angry neighbours (who I do believe hate my version of the feedback-laden national anthem).

Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home