Friday, April 07, 2006

Rush Hour

Hmm.

Wow.

Last night, I had dinner with the three girls whom I had rendered my guitar-playing services a month or so back... they treated me to a jap dinner! Lol.. I had a great meal.. and I'm very grateful for their reciprocation.

Then came some serious business.

Earlier on in the morning, Mr Khairul (my personal mentor) asked me to come to his desk...

K: 'now, Mr Soon has told me...' *panic suddenly grips my chest* '... that you are rather good at music composition.'

C: *sigh of relief* 'umm yeah.. wassup?'

K: 'wah.. why you like so shocked? Anyway, you know that the fusion ashow is coming up, and I'm sure you know what the fusion show is all about.'

For those in the dark about 'The Fusion Show', it's an annual showcasing of the graduating batch's work, whereby graduating design students can put their work on display and get to meet people from the industry.. it also serves as an inspiration point for design students who wish to see what their seniors have produced.

Apparently Khairul wanted me to produce a bit of ambient music meant to accompany some slide presentation which consisted of pictures featuring the works of the graduating batch, and this music sequence was to last about 5 minutes, with 5 individual segments.

Since I had only created a handful of instrumentals ever, and a few of them falling into the folk catagory, I decided to dig out an abandoned music sequence which I had intended for 'Steak & Onions' (the Fuzzy Green Grass's 2nd album) but was deemed 'repetitive and too slick' for our countrified style.

I felt that maybe this could be the chance for me to ressurect this old composition, and give it new life: sitting down with my telecaster and acoustic, I re-recorded the whole song once more and managed to finish it off within 3 hours. The result was a version with better-defined low-end, shimmering high-end and one which truly made you want to bop your head to the beat.

Another interesting factor was the fact that this new version is only one second shorter compared to the old version I had demoed for Alvin. Ah well, since this one is plenty slick, I guess Khairul would be pleased with it.


Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home