Friday, August 18, 2006

Crawldaddy+Gerry @ Molly's Last night

Hmm.

Last night, I quipped over to Molly Malone's Irish Pub where I used to work, to play guitar and sing with Gerry Cox, the resident singer-guitarist.

The evening was pretty much alright, and one of the funniest things to happen was that Gerry broke his string on the 2nd song... and I played another song while he fixed up his guitar with a new string. Then as we joined in to play another song, I broke a string on my guitar!!! Argg.. I had to continue to song without lead fills until I winged out a final solo to end to song.

We managed to cover out enough songs for 2 sets, with me singing for several songs, and for a couple of songs, Gerry lead me through songs I had never played before, and I sat there playing along with uttermost concentration, focussing on his chord changes. I did the occasional lead fill and solo break, but overall, it was an incredibly enducating experience.

It taught me:

1. To always bring an extra set of strings, particularly treble strings.
2. It is always better to perform without the influence of alcohol (I didn't drink a drop of beer lest night.. it was iced water all the way).
3. Fender telecasters work better with grounded amplifiers compared to non-grounded ones.

But my intention of playing last night was because I wanted to try and fill the void left wide open by Robert. Despite the fact that my guitar skills might have only been 20% of Robert's, I feel that maybe a small effort might make a difference. Oh well, school's starting soon, and I'd have absolutely no chance of doing that possibly until the end of December... and maybe I'll get back there again when it's New Years' Day.

Work's at 4, so I'll see y'all around, yeah?


Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home