Friday, December 03, 2004

Brother Dearest I

Hmm.

I haven't mentioned my brother actively in my blog even though he's a major person in my life (particularly where purchasing CDs or DVDs are concerned) and also because we get along much better than when we were both in secondary school.

Just a small bit of background info: My older (and only) brother is two years my senior, we both went to the same Secondary school, took turns to be bullies and the bullied and he loves to sing.

My brother is one person who will constantly cause me to use the expression 'What the (toot)?'

Reasons for this lie beneath the complex history of him being in the school choir. My brother would come home singing some odd tune and he was the one who infected me with the compulsive CD-buying disease.

All I can start saying about him is he started out loving Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston and The Spice Girls (What the *toot* huh?) and that doesn't even come close to what he gets up to nowadays.

He persisted with the Mariah Carey and Shaniah Twain fever during his secondary school days, throwing some odd 'diva' now and then to keep things fresh. He is the proud owner of all three Spice Girls albums, and even bagging Emma Bunton's solo album. Boybands are also his turf of interest, with Westlife, Backstreet Boys and N'Sync and Boyzone bringing out his 'male' side once and again.

Honestly, living with this guy would be absolute torture for anybody, especially since he'd be playing those CDs at ear-splitting volumes and simultaneously singing along with them with absolute gusto. It helps little with the fact that he exhibited gay-boy behaviour when he was in secondary school. I dunno, rumour says that the school choir turns people into fags, but Alvin's one cool dude to disprove this saying.

However, there have been people who go wacko after entering the school choir. I have seen one guy turn into a literal drag queen and another just being a total people-wincer. It become more scary since I attended an all-boys school.

Anyhow, my brother's latest infatuations are:

Hoobastank (oh no!), Simple Plan (Oh No!), Christina Aguilera (still terrible), Kylie Minogue (disco sux, people!), Eamon (slim shady wannabe), Britney Spears (still a head-shaker), and other assorted No. 1 hopefuls including Avril Lavign (poser) and Jo Jo.

I can see through my brother just by looking at his CD tastes: he goes for Chart toppers or simply people/ groups who have the slightest potential to go No. 1 on some chart (especially MTV or Billboard).

While people will argue: what's wrong with buying chart-topping CDs, I simply cannot stop myself from saying this:


You've got your life. You've got your own tastes. You can choose who you want to support by buying their CD. However, just buying a CD just because someone else (whom you have no idea who) says it is good or simply because other people just as misled as yourself contribute to this person's chart success and resulting in good sales is clearly showing that you a just like a sheep in a herd.

Herd mentality is very evident in my brother cuz he simply is not a hands-on nor a proactive person.

I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't even need to release singles to go No. 1 or win awards.
Yes wins my support due to their ability to rock.
John Denver becomes my idol due to his wonderful lyrics and quality singing.

Anyhow, I just have to go turn off the Britney Spears playing right now: I can't stand it any longer.

Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home