Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Imitation or inspiration?

Hmm.

Just for common knowledge, Alvin uses two metal fingerpicks and one plastic thumbpick for his banjo playing. I, however, have always relied on my fingernails for such delicate work. According to Alvin, he said that since Earl Scruggs (the originator of using a banjo in bluegrass music) started using two metal fingerpicks and one plastic thumbpick along with a banjo in bluegrass, everybody else just picked it up as well (in both sense of the saying).

Not that using such a combination is a bad thing, but the only time I've used fingerpicks turned out unsuccessful, and that was because I used all plastic ones, resulting in my style being cramped due to inexperience playing with fingerpicks.

Oh, and I actually used the fingerpicks upside-down. It was Alvin who corrected me.

My main reason for using my fingernails to date is due to the fact that I can feel the string better by having my nails in contact with the strings, rather than having a foreign object take nature's place. Also, I tend to strum and pick in songs. This leads to a situation when picking has more play-time or when strumming has more dominace in a song.

Songs like 'Stairway to Heaven' which first require finger-picking, then strumming, and then soloing (which requires a plectrum), it is kinda hard to use fingerpicks all the way. However, it is, technically possible to finger-pick out the 'Stairway to Heaven' solo. It's just that (to my knowledge) no body has ever done that before.

Maybe I could just have a shot at it and make it possible.

Anyhow, I went to my dentist today for my routinecheckup, and after that I went down town to get my pay. The damn counter was closed early, so I decided to pay some guitar shops at Bras Basah Complex a visit.

I tried out a Cry Baby Wah pedal, and I am so galvanised by the soudns that can be created. Oh, my goodness, my solos can now be spiced up and I can maybe venture into funk or something. The Wah pedal can really make a sound become really thick or very piercing (perfect for the 'Stairway' solo) and even just producing that funny sound which no-one could think possible.

Apparently, Hendrix (Jimi, guitar guru extraordinaire) onced used the Wah-wah pedal to created the effect of a man sobbing uncontrollably. man, that would be so cool. Testing out the pedal with a Godin guitar, and the same model of amp that I have, I could create the same sort of sound used by Pete Townshend (of The Who), Eddie Van Halen etc etc. Man, I can't wait to get my hands on that thing.

I also bought two metal fingerpicks and one plastic thumbpick to see if I can juice something out of Earl Scrugg's well. Anyhow, it seems to be working fien at the moment, though stuff like strumming with teh fingerpicks on still takes some getting around and some getting used to.

I just want to stop looking like an Ah Beng by having long fingernails.

Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home