Monday, May 23, 2005

Party!

Hmm.

Tonight's a company party at Chijmes (which club we're going to is confidential), and it's something I'd never expect especially since we have been cutting costs and it's getting harder to get a shift on the days we want to work. On top of that, sometimes our shift gets cancelled at the last minute.

Anyway, the last time McCraic (pronounced as mack-crack) holdings ever organised a non-working gathering it was about a month plus back, and it was actually a bbq in the middle of the night.. and I left eventually before the important people came because it was already 2am in the morning.

Tonight's event, I suppose is one of the reasons we cut costs (so that we work less but eventually get to party), but the thing is.. it isn't as simple as that.

I've asked a couple of co-workers as to whether they were attending the work party, and some said yes, some said no or "maybe not". It's easy to understand their sentiment, after all, working in a pub with your supervisors snubbing you at times and leaving you all confused as to what the situation has become isn't the best working environment in the world.

I myself find it somewhat oppressive especially when the majority of my co-workers are female, older and thus having a superiority complex over me. Add that on top of the fact I'm still considered 'newly-come' and I'm a very demure person at work.

Do not mistake me as being a chauvanist because I find the majority female population at work oppressive, because I wouldn't wish for males to oppress the females in any way. Thing is, when the only guys at work are the assistant manager, one fellow part-timer, the chef, the 3 cooks and the dish-washer (majority of whom don't not even go into the pub whenever possible) it gets kinda funny when I can't even talk in the way I'm used to, I have to make sure my language is femalisized, and ensure I don't crack guy jokes.

But don't take me wrong, I'm cool with working with women, it's just that when they throw their frustrations on you like some kind of punching bag being stabbed with spears, I can understand why some people are apprehensive about the party altogether.

I'll be going for the drinks, and maybe talk to a couple of people (I wonder if Gerry is going?) and make sure I can have some fun one way or another.


Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home