Sunday, May 28, 2006

Bahyee-ology Case Study I

Hmm.

Now I would normally put this under my "new Clutch That Matey!" series of posts, but since I've started working at the YMCA, my woes tend to revolve around the fact that I get shot at by Bahyees every week without fail.

No, I'm not trying to be racist, and no I'm not racist at all. What I am trying to do, and I'm making this very clear, is that I'm telling you what happened at my workplace AS IT WAS. So please do not have this impression that I have something against Bahyees. I like Bahyees, as long as they do not get on the wrong side of me, just like ANYONE ELSE.. be they Chinese, Malay, Indian, and all those in between.

Now.

Let me start with the beginning.

As my job scope in the Y cafe at YMCA during weekend mornings mainly involve the clearing of dirty dishes from the tables when customers have left, this is one duty on top of other duties, which all revolve around the breakfast buffet spread.

Let me set the scene for you. It's around 9:30 am, the peak period for the breakfast has just passed, and most of the hotel's residents have had their breakfasts. Usually, (as per my observation) the caucasians tend to come in earliest, followed by the Indonesians, Thai and locals. The last group to appear are the Bahyees. Why they can't seem to get up earlier is beyond my imagination.. it's just human nature to want to get up late on weekends I suppose *glances at Brother Dearest*.

Anyway. Since the 'rush hour' has passed, many of the tables were chocked full of plates, and cups and whatnots. Being the dutiful $5.50-per-hour waiter that I am, I decided to pull along my trusty steel trolley which makes a helluva noise when I push it along.

Since I usually clear the cafe in a 'circular motion' (think of a rectangle, and it having 4 corners... I usually start on the right hand side and work forward in a clockwise manner) I would clear a bunch of tables right in front of the cashier first, followed by those by the window, and finally the tables facing the buffet line before coming back to home base.

I was now clearing (think upper left-hand corner of rectangle) a bunch of tables, which resembled a war zone (how people can eat soooo messily is beyond my reasoning... plates strewn all around, forks and knives everywhere, chairs literally askew) when all of a sudden, a young bahyee boy approached me.

Boy: 'Excuse me, can you clear those tables over there *points at tables which are yet to be cleared*? I want to sit with my father and have some breakfast. Thank you.'

I was thinking to myself: "Now pardon me, but haven't I cleared those tables next to those which you have pointed at? What's your friggin' problem.. you don't like to sit at tables which have already been cleared???"

I just nodded my head and went back to my clearing of the dishes. Before I could even count to 10, the boy quips up again.

Boy: 'Excuse me, could you FARRSTER please?'

And that little statement really got me pissed (and when I get pissed I tend to go into ah beng mode): "Oey. I clearing over here hor. You want to eat, you sit at the tables which I clear orredy hor. I clear those tables but you dun want to sit. I clearing over here and you want me to clear those tables just for you ar? KNN CCB, you and your father can kiss my backside hor!"

Of course the above was just thoughts in my head. In truth, I just wanted to put my fist through that little bugger's face. Then he can go and have his breakfast and eat it. But I retrained myself.. after all, what's a service staff if he can't keep his temper in check?

Crawldaddy: 'ok, you give me two minutes can? I will be with you shortly.'

Boy: 'Ok, please farster, thank you'

Crawldaddy : *rolls eyes*

In the end, I cleared up all the tables in record time. I'll share more with you guys in the next part to this 'exciting' series.


Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home