Saturday, April 23, 2005

Clutch that matey! IX

Hmm.

Okay... remember I said I was going for an audition? Well, the truth is, it was kinda like a normal, go-up-and-sing-yer-thang audition, where they judge you based on your ability to sing, compose yourself and look your audience in the eye.

Thank God I managed to do all of the above, although my singing wasn't on par as I normally would have hoped it could be. I just have to say I did my (second) best, and i do have some regrets (but let's not talk about that right now).

Oh yeah... I made it all right.

I went there, with my guitar, slide, harmonica and my little pack of plectrums and did one song ('When You Say Nothing At All', which is kinda like the staple song to sing wherever I do so), and I made sure I did the following things:

1. I smiled.
2. I introduced myself.
3. I made sure I could project my voice with the song
4. I made sure my harmonica playing could be done with the song.
5. I made sure I looked my audience in the eye and tell myself "You are the dawg, dude!!!"

Yes... and essentially these five factors (on top of the fact that I could sing, play guitar and harp at the same time) have given way to me now being:

Officially known as a 'Live' Artiste.

Yeah... comes kinda like 'Whoa.... that's great!' and now my head is in a whirl because of the prospects that are coming my way (as soon as my mother knows what I'm doing and she approves).

It's really a pity Alvin couldn't make it for the audition, because I'm confident we could have torn up the stage with just a simple 'A Simple Life', with Alvin's lightning banjo work, and my wacko guitar strumming.

Work last night was fun, if not exhausting. Apparently, Gerry had some things to say to me last night while I continually brought food down and passed it to the guests:

*Note: mainly in the pub, or anywhere outside school or my family for that matter, everyone calls me by the name of Errik. Don't ask why I chose my unofficial english name to be Errik. Don't ask me why I chose to spell it as Errik. Just know I was thinking of Eric Clapton, and his song 'Layla' when my colleague asked me for my English name and I blurted it out... and then thinking 'Fook! What have I done??!'. Yeah.

*Note: The below conversation is 100% accurate.

G: 'Errik!'

C: 'Yeah?'

G: 'Errik, do you want to do a spot later on?'

C: 'What's up? You're suddenly offering me to go up on stage? Whoa man, it's YOUR stage.'

G: 'Errik, you don't need to ask me whether you can go up anymore... because everytime you play, people tell me "he's pretty good!", and you don't need to ask anymore.. just say the word.'

C: '(grins foolishly) aw.. man.'

G: 'I'm serious! Everyone think's you're good! And anyway, you can sing "Whiskey In The Jar" better than I can!'

C: 'I dunno what to say, man.. but Thanks. Thanks Gerry, I appreciate very much.'

G: 'No problem.'

C: 'But maybe I could sing later tonight, but after my shift is over.'

G: 'Yeah! Bring it on, man.'


OMG. well, I did sing later on in the evening, but since I had brought my guitar to work immediately after the audition, I sang, played (my) guitar and harmonica for the whole pub to hear. I think I sang four songs: 'Leaving on A Jetplane', 'Take Me Home, Country Roads', 'Wonderful Tonight' and 'Whiskey In The Jar'.

Not too bad a day, I'd say.


Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home