Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Murky Waters of Songwriting XX

Hmm.

Well, Sunday night was really dumb... I was chionging for my graphics stuff until 2am, and rushing to school, and along the way I met Grace who was looking perfectly calm, and whom I noticed, was onyl carrying her schoolbag.

C: 'Hey, where's your stuff?'

G: 'In my bag' (gasp)

C: 'But what about your p-board? Aren't we handing up our project today?'

G: 'Huh? What do you mean? Our Graphics is it?'

C: 'Yeah... I thought he had to hand up everything today?' I had slowed my pace considerably by now'

G: 'No lah... it's next week!'

C: 'Thank God!!!'


In any case, I was feeling very dumb and I had some trouble printing my stuff at Block L's print shop, and it didn't help with the auntie yammering at the back of my head.. telling me to shrink my files before printing them... as if I had no idea how to work out my images properly.

I had printed out my stuff, spraymounted them together and created my CD cover mock-ups and waiting for my turn to see Miss Tan, my graphics lecturer, when I noticed that a lot of people had not even finished their concepts, whereas I had already completed 4 mock-ups. I suppose I feel half-dumb, half-gratifying that I was paranoid on Sunday night, and finished all of the computer stuff by 2am, but even my classmate noticed that I was severely short of rest.


Alvin and I had come up with the lyrics and music to a song, titled 'It's All Joon Kiat's Fault', which I felt was pretty hilarious, particularly since this song was about our art lecturer whose name was Joon Kiat. This song is meant to (in a humourous way) blame Joon Kiat for our lack of sleep during our tenure in his module.

The song is really an old-school blues A-D-E chord structure which I had morphed to fit our 'modern' context, which included a cleaan and dirty electric guitar, doubled acoustic guitar, bass and even a street gang as back-up vocals. Since Alvin was unavailible to provide lead vocals, I decided to fill in for him in the time being.

One thing about this song is that when you have Alvin's sense of humour coupled with my 'street gang' effect and some nifty guitar work and full-sounding bass, you can never go wrong. I'll wait and see if Alvin's free enough this holiday to come down and throw in his vocals.. and hopefully this song isn't out of timing like the first version I cooked up saturday afternoon.

So give it a listen (it's already on this blog) and tell me whether you like it or not!

(here's the lyrics)

working every night just to get work done
slaving away and I can't get no fun
all I want is just some time in the sun
It's all Joon Kiat's fault

spending money like water from a tap
I'm painting like crazy, no time for a nap
I think it's good, but he thinks it's crap
It's all Joon Kiat's fault

It's all joon kiat's fault X2
when everything I do just comes to naught
It's all Joon Kiat's fault

Open up my freezer and there's no more food
crashed in my garage and I screwed the hood
Hayden Christensen acts no better than a piece of wood
It's all Joon Kiat's fault

it's getting kinda late and we have to stop
it's all Joon kiat's fault


Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home