Friday, October 28, 2005

The Gig is Here

Hmm.

Tonight is going to be a very improtant evening.. on top of working from 6 to 11pm as a Molly's waiter, as of 11:45, I'm will be playing some numbers in anticipation of Gerry Cox's (the pub singer) 38th birthday.

I've been looking forward to this day, especially since this is a pre-designated gig which has been approved not only by the manager Jaime, but also the boss himself, Colin Macdonald. Apparently, Michael and Archie were supposed to come in (as per norm) on friday evening but eventually bowed out due to gig commitments elsewhere. Robert was also intended to play tonight as well, but work got into the way, and he came by Wednesday (as per his norm) for a gig.

Jaime was then left in a tight spot with only myself availible to perform apart from Gerry himself because both Rob, Michael and Archie were unavailible... she was like:

J: 'Errik, Michael and Archie can't make it tomorrow night, so that means only you can perform... do you have anyone else you can jam with?'

C: 'argh.. guess what the ONLY person whom I can jam with (Alvin) has just left for Beijing'

J: 'But will you be comfortable playing on your own at around 11:45?'

C: 'yeah, there has never been a problem, but question is whether I can last until 2am in the morning LOL'

J: 'In that case, just start at 11:45 and around midnight just give an announcement that it's Gerry's birthday yeah?'

I'm seriously jumping at this opportunity to prove myself, because the tuesdays during the first two weeks of semester will be my two 'official' gigs, whereby I have to plug in and play to an audience by myself, without any aid from Gerry who is usually around to tweak microphone settings or stand by in case any trouble happens. Frankly, I am simultaneously psyched and frightened about the prospect of finally getting a gig.

But I guess it's just like eagles, they get kicked out by the parent bird and learn to fly on their own. I suppose this is the best opportunity for me to learn how to fly... how to get through a gig on my own.

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home