Thursday, October 20, 2005

Prospects of going back to school

Hmm.

YEAH! Our FLIP! chair managed to enter the 2nd round of judging at SFIC (OMG... don't tell me we have to go back to that forsaken place to give another presentation???) which is pretty much good news all around. Alvin said it was another thing to add to our portfolio.

I mean, it's pretty good that something that we did, which is basically OCC-style choppering up of the chair and adding geek-style mathematics workings unto the chair, ended being judged as something with substance, because we did it in such a short space of time, and it turned out pretty much alright.

I was listening to some Cheap Trick songs... and all I can quote from them is "We're all alright! We're all alright!"

I was thinking of what the new semester is going to bring... already I burned out halfway during the first semester, so right now I'm mentally preparing myself to deter myself from such a thing from happening again.. by really slacking my time away.

Actually, not really... I've got a shift tonight, and I just hope that everything goes alright. My fall last week is still having some pains in the affected region, but it's greatly improved.

However, there's the prospect of having TWO VI sessions next semester, one with the juniors, and one more with the seniors. There's also a rumour of the return of Patrick Chia, to which I quote from LOTR:

'You cannot pass! Go back to the abyss which awaits you and your master!'

Quite simply, I will not be able to wonder how much time will be spent just wandering around in the murky waters of Patrick's projects, and I can't imagine how much torture it will be especially when the juniors have to suffer alongside us, the veterans of experience in projects being undertaken by Patrick. I only have my 'Pop Art' project to bear testamony.

But choosing from the two evils, whether it is VI with juniors or VI with the seniors, I would rather have VI with the seniors than with the Juniors, because it would be much easier for the 'battle-scarred' to cope with battle once more than to bring in the novicemen. Yet again, that said, maybe it would be good experience for the juniors to be scarred-as-such so as to heighten their awareness of this monstrosity.

However, my fears could be justified even more so, such that if Patrick took the juniors for Studio project, they would be under the daunting task of facing him for both VI and Studio Project, which will eventually wind up with them crashing down in flame and glory, and with what form of glory i do not know... maybe the impossibility of achieving what Patrick REALLY wanted.

Trouble with Patrick is that even he doesn't know what he wants, and he's just wanting the students to be as blind as possible so that they might be able wank something out of nothing. That is something which is feel is an absolute waste of time. This is why in real-life situations, designers ask questions and get real answers from their clients before moving on with their conceptualisations.

Rather than mucking around with fuck-all for four weeks and the dateline is three days away before concept finalisation, it would be much more proficient and time-efficient to have everything clear-cut such that there is a stone to step on, instead of having to drop into the pond every now and then.

As you can see, the fear of facing Patrick has resulted in this super-long post... such is the dominion with which this guy weilds over us students whom he could give a damn about... but I can safely say.. he'd better watch out: I fight fire with fire, and if I receive flak, he's going down with me. After all, there's the student feedback programme LOL (which I used to great effect after Yr1 2nd semester).


Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home