Saturday, October 29, 2005

The Gig was good

Hmm.

Wow.

Gerry's birthday was such a blast. Despite the fact that I worked until 11:45pm and just dumped my gear onto the set area, set up within 3 mins and played two songs before Gerry's birthday cake came out. Unintentionally, I had bought joke candles which kept relighting as soon as Gerry had blown them out. I was so amused.. I had never seen those in action before.

Gerry was just absolutely delighted with the Led Zeppelin T-shirt I gave him LOL... he was like 'NO WAY!!!' and put it on a manner of seconds before I could even start my next number, which eventually turned out to be 'Stairway to Heaven'... it was great, both Gerry and myself were wearing our Led Zeppelin T-shirts and just singing together although I was the one tickling the strings.

I had only played my acoustic guitar once in the pub, and Gerry told me how good it sounded. The townhouse chef, Andrew, who also played guitar, went up to do a couple of numbers, and I was personally astounded by the sound my cheap-arsed guitar produced. I suppose it really is one of those rose amongst the thorns.

The evening wound into morning and I went up with my SG to do some AC/DC... it was great because big boss Colin Macdonald was there as I took a break and Andrew came on. As I went up, I literally tore up the stage with 'Shot Down In Flames', 'Whole Lotta Rosie', 'Highway to Hell' and 'You Shook Me All Night Long'. With the guitar in souped-up over-drive and me doing the Angus Young duckwalk... it couldn't have been better.

The set officially stopped at around 2:15 after I finished it off with a resounding 'Hey Jude' (again, the guitar sound came out so well... I'm really happy with it), and Gerry, his girlfriend Mags, myself, Andrew and Colin then stood around playing old hits with Gerry's guitar, while I wiped down the strings on my guitars and let Andrew do his thing. Oh man, that guy can play. If you think Gerry and I can play guitar, that guy can whup both Gerry and my arses straight out. But it was great... we sang until about 3am in the morning before I finally retired.

Did I mention my manager gave me and Andrew a bit of cash for our effort? I totally didn't expect it, and I told her:

'Jaime, just to set the record straight, I would have done it with no cash simply because it is Gerry's birthday. Even if it's your birthday, Colin's birthday... whomsoever's birthday it is.. I will do it'

I mean, it's just terribly nice of her to take my shitty financial condition into consideration, but the best about it is that I wouldn't be too worried about getting home at about 3am in the morning.


Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home