Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Headache II

Hmm.

Okay, finally the effects of the burnout have arrived... I've got a headache.. very similar to a hangover, but a headache nontheless. Why do I have this urge to write a poem now?

Yesterday managed to go over to Rob's place, where he mercifully spared me a half hour of his time talking about (what else) music and the state of mind when it comes to making music. I had mentioned to him that I wanted to progress from just playing normal pentatonic scales and try out something like blues. I also talked about upgrading my gear etc.

Then he said his piece, which in it's utterly distilled form is: to focus on the music. Anyone out there with a disposable income can spend loads of cash on gear, fiddle about with amps and guitars and desire to be the world's best guitarist. However that will be just ridiculous because that person is spending more time on gear rather than focusing on his/her chops.

I have to admit that I agree wholeheartedly with Robert, and I'm guilty of gear-headedness. What's more I have been focusing on the very technical aspects of music: panning, reverb, sound focus etc. After what Rob said yesterday, it seems that all my efforts in sound production seemed to be no more than tripe if my initial (if not present) ambition is to be a good musician, and I have lost focus along the way.

Well, from my personal (musical) standpoint, I want to be:

1. A solid rhythm and lead guitarist.
2. A fair mandolin player.
3. A competent singer.
4. A fair blues harpist.
5. A good sound engineer.
6. A competent producer.
7. A good songwriter.
8. A fair bassist.

As you can see, these 8 goals I have set for myself I have achieved somewhat, and there's always plenty of room to progress, and much more to learn along the way. I hope I can make it.


Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home