Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Guitar and the damage done

Hmm.

A long while back, when I was still working back at Molly Malone's Irish Pub I managed to get to know a certain Robert Bartlett. He was this tall, friendly, ageing but fantastically talented guitarist and singer. Add that to the fact that he was so generous and full of life and was willing to give a helping had when neccessary. He was the one uncle-figure whom I looked up to in terms of being a musician. What an inspiration he was to me and Alvin when he played on three of our songs on our up-coming 2nd album.

Last week Friday, I had gone out for an evening of pure freedom and reunion with my friends at the pub. I had asked Gerry whether he had seen Rob, but apparently Robert had disappeared from his friends and his wife 3 months ago, without a trace. I was shellshocked because not more than 4 weeks back I saw an advertisement in a local classifieds website with him trying to sell off one of his lap-stell guitars.

I had a wonderful evening after that.. I even went up and did a 5 song set which brought back so many good memories when I was moonlighting after my shift ended on friday evenings. A pint of cider in my hand, and jokes with my friends and Gerry's girlfriend, Mags somehow made things seem so much better.

Then just as I was playing my guitar earlier in the evening, I received an sms from Gerry. It seems that Robert had sold off all of his guitars and had eloped to the UK with another woman, leaving his wife Jill behind to nurse her emotional wounds. Initially, I was wondering to myself.. why did he go and do something so reckless and insensitive?

I mean... if he had departed to a life of peace and quiet due to his medical condition, anyone would have sympathised with him due to his busy working schedule and his dependency on painkillers in order for his body to function. But leaving his wife who had toiled with him through so much, to depart away from her for another woman? Even as a guy, I know it's absolutely wrong. Which led me to think back about the things which made me admire Robert. I have to say that I still respect him for his musical talents, but his behaviour has caused his stock to go down in my point of view.

All I have to say now is that... one of the things which Robert did for me was to partially sponsor the purchase of a mixer for me and Alvin to use to record our music. He had lent me $100, which I feel should go back to Jill (Robert's wife), just so that she could have that extra bit of cash to help her in any little way possible. I also want to offer her my time and help since I am having my break now.. and what better than to aid the wife of a friend who has deserted us all?

My heart tells me that my help is needed now more than ever, and tough times lie ahead for Jill. I need to do something to help her. I know, because I prayed, and it seems that the big guy upstairs wants me to tread this path.


Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home