Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Guitar teacher, moi?

Hmm.

You know just 2 months ago I only dreamed of being a guitar teacher, and when I joined Maestro guitars my dream was answered in more ways than one.

My first student was thankfully a fast learner... however due to her studying commitments, she had to fly off within 11 days of the 1st lesson, and that was kinda funny because she did all 4 lessons in 2 weeks.

Anyway, after that student had finished her lessons, I was soon assigned to teach 4 little indian expatriate girls. Now, if you think any girl below the age of 14 is a handful, imagine someone like myself trying to handle all four at one shot.

I mean.. me.. cynical, short-tempered, grouchy, prone to outbursts of annoyance. All of the sudden I have to tame myself and tame my students as well. It has not been easy, particularly since they keep jostling for attention amongst themselves and trying to make me pay attention to each individual, individually rather than collectively. However, I guess it's only fair / divine intervention that each week one girl would be missing, so I only need to tackle 3 girls at any one session.

The good news is that they understand english very well. And the accent is very much kept under control.. if not I'll be speaking in an Indian accent even if I didn't want too. For those who have heard me mimicking the accent, yeah it's funny.. but I'll be damned if I was stuck having to speak that way. No offense to the Indians however, because I honestly find it hard to take folk who have a thick accent (regardless of race or origin) seriously.

Anyway, my 3rd set of students is a pair of guys who are wayyy older than me. Put it this way, they're even older than what people have often mistook me to be. So they're taking electric guitar lessons from me... One guy has been MIA for 2 weeks now, and the other guy... is willing to learn, but just can't seem to stop bashing the damn strings. I keep emphasising "finesse", "dynamics", but I guess all he wants to do is just wank away indescriminately.

My 4th set of students just had their first session with me today, which went surprisingly well despite the fact that it's a mother-and-daughter combo. No, don't get any funny ideas, both female specimen aroused nothing but a sense of professionalism on my part to try and impart as much knowledge as I can within the first few lessons and take it from there.

So I do hope that my lessons can continue as smoothly as possible, and for my gig on the 24th and 25th to both be successes.


Cheers,

Crawldaddy

Hard rockers unite!!! Someday rock will rule again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home